Are you on the lookout to buy turquoise jewelry online? You are likely to be joined by a large number of women favoring this rare gem.
The birth stone of Sagittarius, turquoise is a bluish-green opaque mineral, considered valuable and precious. Immensely popular with jewelry makers worldwide, the gemstone is typically set in silver or white gold, highlighting its brilliant blue color. It is often coveted by light eyed woman as it brings out the blue in their eyes.
When you chose to buy turquoise jewelry online, you are typically assured of a dazzling gem, considered a symbol of both passion and mysticism. In many cultures, this delightful gem is also revered as “holy”, blessed with healing and spiritual properties. There are several who believe that the jewel changes color based on the wearer’s health, protecting him or her from external harm.
If you want to buy turquoise jewelry online, you will come across a range of pieces using the opulent gem – art pieces, pendants, necklaces, rings, earrings, toe-rings, bracelets and charms. The stone is relatively soft, making it easy to work with, and the preferred stone in Middle Eastern countries as the choice of gem to craft delicate, designer pieces.
Here are some quick facts about this exquisite gem.
- Turquoise is an old mineral, its earliest use traced to as far back as 3000 BC. There were several rare pieces found in Egyptian, Persian and ancient North American cultures.
- Turquoise – meaning “Turkish stone” in French, was first brought and introduced to the European market from Turkey. Hence it’s unusual name.
- Often picked for its bright blue hue, its actual color can range from grayish-green to a brilliant copper-sulphate blue. The spectacular gem is also ingrained with natural patterns, carrying hints of black, grey and brown. This makes each piece unique and exclusive.
Types of turquoise you can consider, when you decide to buy turquoise jewelry onlineinclude.
- Sleeping Beauty Turquoise – Mined from Arizona, these are the most precious of turquoise gems. These come in brilliant hues of vivid blue.
- Stabilized Turquoise – These are the ones most commonly used in designer jewelry. These have a nice “matrix”, and are treated for enhanced hardness and color.
- Chalk Turquoise – These come from China, and are dyed in various colors – blues, greens – even pinks, and have softened edges.
- Yellow Turquoise – These come in earthy colors and have varying shades of brown, green and gold.
- African Turquoise – These are not the natural gems, and used for imitation jewelry.
- White Turquoise – This is actually the “magnesite” version, with a creamy white surface and a brilliant brown or black matrix, shining to perfection. These are also referred to as Turkish turquoise that can be dyed in various colors and used for imitation jewelry.
- Howlite and mountain jade – As you might have guessed, this is another affordable imitation of the rare gem.
Before you buy Turquoise jewelry online, ensure to check sample pieces or enlarged pictures of the originals for vividness of color and uniformity of the matrix. If it is indeed a precious and rare gem, the stone will be treated to showcase this.